Saturday, July 17, 2010

Self Evaluation of my academic year (2009)

The society has taught us to do the correct things since we’re children, what we had to do to be successful, imposing it like the aim of our life. If you ask me, they never ask us if we wanted to do it, rather they supposed that we were good practitioner of the good habits and that we did have the same point of view about their definition of “the correct”. They never ask us if be successful was something that we wanted to be. Into these implying was emphasize the most important to achieve the mentioned: obtain good qualifications in the school to get in the university to study “something”, whatever for obtain a title, that outside would be valued in more that ourselves. This was a thing that shocked me when I were in the school; follow letter by letter what the society dictated to me, I felt that I was falling slowly in their trap. Having said that, for the purposes of this essay, there will be analyzed my academic and personal life for explain where I was in the world.
And I arrived to the university the next year, against my will in part, but motivated for the curiosity overall. Although I always felt that my destiny was help the non-human animals, I was resisting to what I believed an invisible hand that was opposed to that I was thinking by myself and that it was going to end hitting me with a whip for that I produced. Is for this reason too that my intention were taking me a year before get in the university, to the reflection about I don’t know what and to mature maybe. However, mi PSU were better of what I thought and my parents made pressure for that I joined in the career to what I responded when people asked me what I wanted to study, without knowing any other date about it, just knowing what I wanted and knew more than good: go to Africa, study dance and save to the elephants from the men, come back to Chile and leave the streets without dogs.
Still wishing this, I was feeling small, lowest in a world that demanded to me to assume a responsibility that I didn’t feel disposed to take. The most motivating thing to pack with seventeen years was living alone or far from my home, getting out from my bubble where I was for twelve years to really meet the youth that were not educated inside my bubble and see if the veterinary medicine really liked me to study and dedicate my life on it. So I arrived to the big city to my cousin’s flat without meeting her and, for the horror of my eyes, she was everything what I didn’t want to be in my life. In my cousin was traducing what I thought that the invisible hand made to the people; it stressed them with their jobs and it didn’t give them time to think in other thing.
At the same time, the university was like a parallel universe, the people who I met here are very good friends in the present and they were who helped to distract me about what passed by my mind when I were alone. Despite of my little experience in the study of more than a day, I passed all my classes from the first semester, even though it wasn’t my first priority. In fact, I preferred were with my friends the weekend when I traveled to Viña, and it was every weekend of the semester. I tried to study in the week for travel weekends, study in the day and go out in the night. By the same, my semester was too short and my notes were not the best, but I don’t feel regretful about my acts, in fact, it was the better therapy for the bad moments. On the contrary, my second semester was very different, I changed from house, to my felicity, with another cousin, and she’s one of the most admirable and kind person that I meet. And although the second semester was more stressful in academics responsibilities, I had better grades and there were not a torture live in Santiago.
Feeling that I left many subjects out of this essay, these was in summary my academic year, with a lot of reflections to me and growth. It was impossible to me separated my personal experience from the academic, due from some form, the grades were how I could see the bad that I were the first semester and that It wasn’t for my fault and it wasn’t weakness the lowest efficiency that I felt that I had despite the time that we had to study. Also, I could see that I have been in love of the career from the beginning or, for the contrary, I wouldn’t resist the first month living here, and; that I’m giving the first steps to arrive to Africa and carry out what is my personal aim: change the society respect their vision about the non-human animals, help to the last one and confirm that the successful doesn’t exist. It isn’t value obtain a title for that the job consume your life, and I won´t leave that the society squash me of this form. My aim is just be happy giving the best of me for that the things change and I know that it doesn’t gives to me a profession, it gives to me the experiences of the life, like the big experience of my 2009 year.

0 opinions:

Post a Comment